Sunday, October 2, 2022

Weave-Along Waffles


Day 354: Amongst the other projects I'm working on at the moment, I decided to participate in Acton Creative's "October Weave-Along." The rules are simple: everyone begins and (hopefully) finishes a project during the month of October using the same weaving pattern. You may create whatever you like in whatever colours you choose. It just has to be woven in a particular pattern. In this case, that's waffle-weave, and there is even quite a bit of latitude within that stipulation. There are a number of weaves which give the "waffle" effect, and since I am weaving on a four-shaft loom, I opted for the one in Mary E. Black's "Key to Weaving." Ms. Black suggested using 12 dents/inch for 8/2 cotton, and I am already wishing I'd listened to the Voice of Experience instead of following her instructions. Weaving at 15 epi for 8/2 as I usually do would have rendered square "waffle" divots rather than rectangles. The divots are not readily apparent in the fabric while it is on the loom, but the structure of the weave is such that they will form when the finished cloth is laundered, giving the "waffle" effect for which the weave is named. Fortunately, this is a short-term project consisting of only two towels. I like the weave, but next time, I'll space the warp threads closer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment