Sunday, November 6, 2022

New Family Member


Day 24: We are pleased to announce the arrival of a new member of the family! Much to my surprise, my family unit of three Canada Jays were recently joined by a fourth mature bird. For a second or two, all four were perched together on the shepherd's-hooks, taking polite turns at the suet feeder. The group has stuck around for much longer than usual and seem to be intending to stay for the winter. Their preferred food is the suet, although occasionally I see one of them take a few black-oil seeds. I've spent many a backpacking trip in their company, so it pleases me no end that they have come to visit me at a time in my life when I can no longer go into the deep backcountry. You kinda have to wonder...alpine birds showing up at my feeder, mycoheterotrophs sprouting in my yard...I am feeling a connection here, in Ma Nature's benevolence.

No comments:

Post a Comment