Saturday, November 19, 2022

Three-Shaft Stud Runner

Day 37: And here's the piece which just came off the floor loom. The weave is something I developed on the fly when I realized I'd miscounted warp threads and wound up with one extra between the yellows. I'm sure it's been published somewhere, but rather than searching through books for something which would use a 7-thread repeat, I "re-invented" it, and call it "Three-Shaft Stud." The fringe still needs to be trimmed and twisted, but this runner may get an additional treatment: embroidery on the ends. The catch is that the weave is not square like counted-thread fabrics, so although I think cross-stitch would work, I may play around with tvistsöm ("long-armed cross-stitch") as a means of adding decoration and weight to the end panels. It may be necessary to turn the tvistsöm so that the stitches run vertically, compensating for the wider-than-tall lay of the weft and warp. Tvistsöm is worked in one direction only (left to right if you're right-handed) and subsequent rows give a braided appearance as opposed to the familiar X of cross-stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment