Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Bandweaving


Day 104: Of all the yards of bandweaving I have done, this one has got to be my all-time favourite. It was woven on the bonker loom (Glimakra band loom) and has thirteen doubled pattern threads in three shades of green. It measures out at just shy of five yards. And right there, you have one of the reasons I love working on the bonker loom: I can make longer bands than on the inkle, which is limited to about nine feet. As you can see, either side of the band could be used as the surface. When I first started weaving it, I taped a "cheat sheet" to the loom to remind me which pattern threads were to be picked up with each pass of the shuttle. After weaving for a while, the pattern committed itself to memory and the cheat sheet was only necessary when I needed to pick back because I'd lifted the wrong pattern thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment