Saturday, January 28, 2023

Rainbow Runner


Day 107: "The job isn't finished until the paperwork is done." In the instance of weaving, the "paperwork" takes the form of tying fringe or otherwise securing the ends of the cloth so that they don't unravel. On a runner, hemming adds excessive bulk and diminishes the graceful drape of the fabric, but even with my handy-dandy fringe tool, twisting is a time-consuming and rather tedious project. I cringe at fringe, quail at the thought of all those tails, but diligent crafter that I am, I set a reasonable goal for each fringing session: halfway, or "through five sequences," or "I'll quit after ten minutes, no matter where I leave off." If I go farther, it's all to the good, but I must never, ever lay the piece aside before the goal has been reached. It took me three days to finish up the Rainbow Runner, and when I laid it over the harpsichord, the crick in my neck hardly mattered. Done and dusted!

No comments:

Post a Comment