Sunday, January 8, 2023

Upside-down Weaving


Day 87: First of all, let me apologize for the quality of the photo. It was taken with the camera sandwiched in between the underside of the weaving and the front apron, and all I could see on the viewscreen was what appeared between warp threads. It's even harder to get your head in there to see if the pattern is coming out the way it should.

To explain further, this was the first time I had used a draft from a new book, and there's always a learning curve when the author has tried to improve on standard notation and falls somewhat short in the clarity of her instructions for reading her method. Add a dash of "operator error" into the mix, and an unbelievable number of ways to go wrong appear in very short order. After picking back an inch of weaving several times because I misunderstood her "repeat" indications, I finally got the pattern to work...upside-down. The writer's treadling is apparently for a sinking-shed loom rather than one with a rising shed, hence the need for me to stand on my head. It has taken me roughly five hours to get two inches of weaving done, and even if I'm not quite happy with this first result, I've learned from the experience and will have four more towels after this one to refine into something gift-worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment