Thursday, January 5, 2023

Waffle Throw


Day 84: Remember Wilson on "Home Improvement?" I bet he never hid behind a waffle! Yes, the waffle throw is complete, and measures 45" x 58", very close to my estimate. Waffle weave has a tendency to pull in on itself both crosswise and lengthwise, and depending on the fiber, you may lose as much as 20% of either dimension. In this case, I don't have to worry. Both warp and weft are fabric-store acrylic worsted yarns, and the colours are tag ends from old projects. I did have to purchase a little more black for the weft (well, I purchased more than a little, because I will definitely be doing this again), but otherwise, the only requirement for a colour was that it yield six 18-foot lengths for the warp. What you can't see in this photo is that I am wearing a thickly textured sweater knit on the same principle, also with a base colour of black. There are a lot of ways to use up all those mini-balls of yarn besides turning them into granny squares. The throw was woven as two panels, and if you look closely, you'll be able to see the horizontal seam where the two selvedges meet. That said, I'm counting on the colours to dazzle your eyes so that you don't notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment