Thursday, March 23, 2023

California Quail, Callipepla Californica


Day 161: In the thirty-plus years I have lived at this location, I have never seen a California Quail in my yard or, for that matter, even in this general area. Quail were a common sight when I was growing up, at least in rural areas. My dad would frequently have to slow down or stop the car to allow a mother to lead her chicks across the road when we were out for a drive. In later years, their numbers dwindled, but I didn't notice their absence until one day when I saw one sitting on a fence beside a bike trail. "Quail!" I said, stopping to grab a quick snapshot if I could. "Funny, I haven't seen quail in years." I was reminded of a Joni Mitchell song and the line, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."

Yesterday afternoon, I noticed that the bird feeders were nearly empty. As I put my hand on the door handle to draw it back, I saw a speckled oddity among the Mourning Doves feeding on the ground. The bird had its back to me, pecking head-down at the scattered sunflower seeds. When it raised its head, the cute little topkknot told me all I needed to know. There, in my own yard, was a California Quail. It startled at some sound, raced for cover beneath the contorted filbert, and then a few minutes later, emerged to scratch a depression at the end of one of the timbers surrounding the tree. It hunkered down into the hollow, sat there for a few minutes, and then decided to explore for more food. I watched it for some time as it alternated between feeding and hiding, and once saw it fly up to perch on one of the tree's lower branches. With a ready food supply and good cover for safety from predators, perhaps my Quail will stick around and, if I'm lucky, maybe we'll even have some Quail chicks in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment