Friday, March 31, 2023

Custom Blend - Ice Caves


Day 169: I've had several bags of Corriedale top sitting in the spinning cupboard for some time now, not really wanting to spin it up plain and trying to figure out a way I could spice it up a bit. In the interim, I've been spinning a Merino/bamboo blend which is rapidly becoming my favourite fiber. As luck would have it, my primary fiber supplier recently put a 100% bamboo top on sale. It was only available in one colour ("Glimmerglass," a mix of blues with a tiny touch of lavender), but it was perfect for my purpose. I blended a bit with the Corriedale using my hand carders and spun up a sample using a tahkli spindle. Although I was pleased with the result shown here, I've decided to add a little more of the bamboo, bringing the content up to approximately 70% Corriedale/30% bamboo. That should be a good combination for long-wearing socks. That said, I've become a little spoiled working with Merino. The Corriedale fiber seems much coarser than I remembered. I've dubbed this shimmery blend "Ice Caves" because it reminds me of the blue light inside the old ice caves above Paradise (Mount Rainier National Park) which now no longer exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment