Friday, March 10, 2023

Fine Spun


Day 148: This project is going to take a while. True fingering-weight yarns have become very difficult to find in recent years, at least at a price which isn't prohibitive (I am not willing to spend $30 on a single sock, or even a pair), so I decided it was time to make my own. I found a wonderful new fiber supply right here in Washington which caters specifically to spinners (Paradise Fibers in Spokane), and ordered eight ounces of blended Merino/bamboo top in a shade called "Hickory Dickory." All the colourways in this series are named from nursery rhymes. It's a bit pinker than I'd expected, but hey, it's going to be socks...at least three pair of socks for the grand sum of $24, offset by many hours of entertainment on my side of the coin. It is spinning up beautifully at 40 wraps per inch, and since I am spinning off the fold, I have better control over the colours as they come off my hand. Spun directly from the end, the colours would be more blended, but I wanted a more "tweedy" effect. The hand-feel of the Merino/bamboo blend is exquisite: soft, smooth, silky...and durable enough to make good socks, whether they're a little too pink or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment