Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Star Performer


Day 152: This marks one of those rare occasions when I have had to backdate a post, and I hope my readers will excuse the lapse. The heating company was here yesterday, installing a new ductless mini-pump (replacement), and that's enough to disrupt anyone's schedule. Well, except maybe a plant's. Even "intermittent" bloomers follow some pattern. It may be something as simple as length of daylight, soil temperature, chill period and so on, or it may be a complex of factors which even the best science is at a loss to explain completely. Huernia zebrina's calendar falls in the latter category. It blooms when it is inspired to do so, leaving me to say, "Oh, I've got another star!" when it does. Oftentimes, I don't notice the buds. They look rather like new foliar growth in their earliest stage, easy to overlook during watering times. Still, when ol' Lifesaver Plant is of a mind to perform, it does so in a spectacular manner. Only a few days ago, I found this inch-wide stellar phenomenon staring me in the face as I was advancing the warp on my floor loom.

No comments:

Post a Comment