Thursday, April 20, 2023

Joe's Brunnera


Day 189: I have to rib my botany partners a little bit here. Last year, they brought a commercially-grown plant for my garden which upon first glance, I nearly refused because it looked astonishingly similar to a forget-me-not (Myosotis). There was a tag in the pot, though, so I graciously accepted it, all the while thinking I might wind up regretting the impulse. The tag told me that it was a Brunnera called "Jack Frost" for its silvery leaves. A little further digging with the Google shovel revealed that it was unlikely to spread, but offered some cautions about not allowing it to set seed. I diligently removed the flowering heads as the blossoms faded, and found myself rather enjoying the foliage in and of itself. It died back in late autumn as expected, and...Joe, forgive me!...I told myself I wasn't going to be heartbroken if it didn't come back in spring. That said, when it broke ground a few weeks ago, I was happy to see it had returned. If it does spread a bit, I won't mind. It gives a bit of colour to an awkward spot at the end of my carport. I'll pinch the tips when they're done flowering, but if I miss a few, it won't be the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment