Sunday, April 30, 2023

Moving In


Day 199: Warm days prompted a significant uptick in swallow activity, and the pair who had been considering the House of Chirp as a suitable place for their young signed the lease and immediately began moving in their furnishings. Both the male and female Tree Swallows (Tachycineta bicolor) have been gathering dried grass and a few white feathers, and placing them inside. At this point, I have only seen the female (duller in colour) enter the box, and am assuming that the actual construction of the nest is her domain. Half a dozen small paperwasp nests were in the eave above the House and, not quite trusting that they were unoccupied, I took a long piece of PVC pipe to knock them down, keeping in mind that I might need to make a quick retreat. Fortunately, the wasps were absent, but this is something I must watch for every year to be sure there are no permanent installations. I must keep my renters safe and happy to ensure their return next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment