Monday, May 8, 2023

Back In The Saddle


Day 207: Last year at this time, I was suffering. There was no question about going out in the kayak. I couldn't even lift a cup of coffee out of the microwave. Given that I'd already had a major rebuild of my right shoulder, I wasn't keen on repeating the experience, and in any event, I just don't go to the doctor if I can possibly avoid doing so. During this same time frame, my botany partner had a knee replaced. He was very pleased with the relief he got using a recirculating cold-water pack and suggested that I might try putting ice on my shoulder. I purchased a specially-shaped ice pack for the purpose and for several months, was icing the shoulder six or seven times each day. It seemed to be improving, and gradually, I tapered off the treatment. In hindsight, I realize that I had apparently dislocated it when I raised up under a kitchen counter. The ice reduced the swelling, and in confirmation of my suspicion, one afternoon, there was a loud POP as it snapped back into place, and any lingering pain simply disappeared. At that point, kayak season was behind me without a single outing, not even to visit the sundews, and I swore 2023 was not going to be a repeat. The 'yak rack is on the car, and if the weather cooperates later this week, I'm going for a paddle!

No comments:

Post a Comment