Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The Long Way Around


Day 216: The wooded lot adjacent to my property is home to an abundant population of Wild Ginger (Asarum caudatum). So abundant is it that a few years back, I decided to try to transplant some to my yard. The plants established in two of the three spots I chose for them and have been steadily spreading. Today I went next door to photograph the unusual flowers and, following a deer trail, cleaned out at least twenty occupied spider webs with my face. My ankles were savaged by trailing blackberry vines, my face scratched by dangling fir twigs as I tried to duck beneath them to get to the thickest ginger patch. When I arrived, I noticed that the leaves were still quite small. Closer examination found buds in the first formative stages, but none fully open. Having made the journey without profit, I forged a shortcut through the tangle to reach my back fence. Over the wire I went...to take a photo of the ginger growing in my very own yard. Sometimes, you just gotta do it the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment