Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Tiger Stripes


Day 223: I didn't know what to expect when I pulled a fresh and illegal planting from a problematic site, but I brought it home and stuck it in the ground alongside several others I've removed from the same location over the years. The plastic tag, still in the soil, called them "Violas" (as opposed to "Pansies") and I was a little worried that they'd turn out to be of the "Johnny-jump-up" type I've worked so diligently to remove from my flower beds. When the buds opened up a few days ago, I decided I didn't really care how much they spread because their "tiger stripes" are absolutely enchanting. I've never seen Violas so finely and completely marked before. Unfortunately, the specific varietal name was not included on the tag, but I see them listed in seed houses as "Eye of the Tiger" and "Tiger Eye." They are an edible Viola. Imagine them sugared and placed on a cake top!

No comments:

Post a Comment