Friday, June 23, 2023

Almost Time


Day 253: Any day now, the little ones will fly the coop, and the House of Chirp will have served its purpose through another season. The parents are still delivering food directly to wide gapes, not yet trying to tempt the youngsters from the safety of the nest. This year's parents have been more protective than in years past, apparently seeing me as a threat, dive-bombing me so close that I have been struck by a wing in passing, and cursing swallow swear-words from the telephone line any time I'm in the yard. I applaud their diligence, however it might inconvenience me if I need something from the garage. In the twenty-plus years the House of Chirp has been used, only one chick failed to thrive. That's a pretty good record. So while we're on the subject of nestlings, let me say it: there is nothing...absolutely nothing!...cuter than baby birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment