Sunday, June 4, 2023

Scrubby Is Back!


Day 234: Oh, Scrubby is back! He showed up for dinner late, and with the feeders momentarily empty, resigned himself to picking seed fragments off the ground. He's very shy, and when he noticed me standing at the window with the camera, he flew off. I took advantage of the moment to put out more seed. California Scrub-jays are relatively new to our local area, although I used to see them while I was bicycling through the prairies south and east of Olympia, a good thousand feet below my present elevation. I've only seen them here in the last four or five years. They are as large or slightly larger than our Steller's Jays, and somewhat bulkier overall. A very handsome bird, to my way of thinking, and in any event, all Corvids are welcome here.

No comments:

Post a Comment