Thursday, June 1, 2023

What Pride Means To Me


Day 231: I celebrate Pride not because I'm gay (I'm not...not that it's any of your business what goes on in my bedroom), but because I have friends who are gay. They are not gay "by choice." They are gay because their biology draws them to same-sex companions. The idea of this being somehow "sinful" was instituted by organized religion and its lust for power over individuals. Religions thrive on control, demanding certain diets, certain behaviours, modes of dress, etc. Any action deviating from that which is approved is seen as an offense against God. But religion is a construct, and varies from culture to culture. It is largely in those societies where the Christian influence is felt that homosexuality is viewed as "unnatural." In the US today, the number of Christians who are strongly homophobic is growing and becoming more vitriolic with every passing day. The hate is almost palpable. It strikes me that this is rather opposite to the purported teachings of Christ and indeed looks more to me like the Devil's work in light of the fact that these peoples' very Christianity is being used to promulgate hatred. Isn't that how Satan is said to work? But then, who am I, godless heathen, to suggest that maybe we should all respect each other for who we are rather than trying to remake others into something they are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment