Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Summer Or Winter


Day 278: Which side is up? Front? Back? Which is which? Summer-and-winter weave is wonderfully reversible even though the patterns created by the coloured floats are not exact reversals of each other. One side of the cloth is dark, the other light: summer or winter, your choice. The first of the towels is done in a mere four days of weaving two blocks per day, and I should get six from this warp, although in a moment of mental lapse I forgot to note the length I wound off. Assuming I used the same amount I usually allow for towels, that would have been 18', accommodating space between towels for fringe and the standard loom waste of roughly 4' plus "wiggle room." Better to have too much than too little! Thrums can always be crocheted into potholders, and of course I like to weave a small sample to include my weaving file. The shuttle is still loaded with green, so the next towel will be identical to this one. After that? Well, who knows? I have two shelves full of options.

No comments:

Post a Comment