Monday, August 7, 2023

A Matter Of Taste


Day 298: When Nature opens her larder and issues an invitation to partake of her provender, I am usually at the head of the queue with both hands and my mouth wide open to accept the gift. However, I take exception to the fruit of the Red-flowering Currant, a Pacific Northwest native purported to be edible. As I have often said, paper is "edible," but I wouldn't want it served up on my dinner plate. The same holds true for these insipid, dusty-flavoured berries. I have tried to like them, seriously tried. I've juiced them, jammed them, eaten them raw in the hopes I would develop a taste for them as I did for cilantro (which I now love), but no treatment or lack thereof has provided me with any reason to harvest them.The local birds seem to share in my opinion of the fruit, but since the hummers love to nectar at the flowers, I maintain two bushes. In all the years I've grown them, I have yet to see any evidence of any wild creature eating the currants. Thanks, Ma, but I'm going to continue to give this one a pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment