Thursday, August 31, 2023

Crocosmia In Orange


Day 322: It had entirely slipped my mind that my botany partners Joe and Sharon had brought me a few bulbs of their orange Crocosmia three or four years ago until I was on my way back from the compost heap and spotted this one small panicle of flowers. "Orange?" I said, and my first thought was that a red one had faded in poor soil as my irises have done in the past. Then I remembered planting bulbs from theirs, but to date, all I'd seen was foliage. My red one ("Lucifer") is long done with its blooming period. Does this one bloom later normally, or is it trying to adjust to the difference in climate between sea level and mountain? Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised, although I do know that this plant has a tendency to spread and is notoriously difficult to remove once established. That said, given its own space, it is usually content to form a large clump without encroaching on other landscaping. If you want to grow Crocosmia (and who doesn't love those showy flowers?), be sure you locate it in a permanent spot. Otherwise, you'll be pulling little baby Crocosmia bulbs for the next thirty years. Trust me, I learned the lesson early on. I hope this is a sign that Orange is happy in my back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment