Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Fire Nerves

Day 314: Well, I was hoping we might make it through the summer without smoke or fire, but earlier this week, smoke from the wildfires in British Columbia drifted down this way, and we were at an AQI of 160-190 for roughly 72 hours. You don't have to be a "sensitive individual" for that to impact you. It's just plain unhealthy for everyone. That said, my second wish for the season was dashed yesterday morning when some moro...jacka...dumbsh... jeeper redneck land-rapist started a vegetation fire in Elbe Hills. I blame the Dept. of Natural Resources (or as they are known locally, the "Destructor of Natural Resources") almost as much as I blame the idiot who started the blaze. They should close the gates, keep people out of the woods during fire season, but they don't. I mean, they must think it infringes on Second Amendment rights or something, temporarily limiting where people can go to shoot things. Oh, dear...okay, I'll get off the soapbox and on with my essay.

As mentioned somewhere above, yesterday morning, a vegetation fire started in Elbe Hills. PulsePoint is not good on giving details, but as I monitored their reports throughout the day, the fire was never downlisted from being an "active incident." That meant crews were still on the ground. Before I went to bed last night, I made up my "evac pack" of important papers, medications and so on, just in case they decided to move us out in a hurry. I did not sleep well, despite the fact that five or six raindrops fell before 9 PM. Fortunately, the fire was controlled and had been removed from the list of "active incidents" when I checked PulsePoint this morning, but my fire nerves have not subsided. The gates are still open, and the morons are still streaming into the hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment