Friday, August 25, 2023

The Cone Of Fame: Plying Turkish Cops


Day 316: Sometimes I just have to drop something in here for ease of personal reference, and in this case, it has to do with manipulating Turkish cops. No, I'm not talking about bribery. I am referring a process by which the cops of spun singles yarn are controlled so that they can be plied together without tangling up with each other. I've had no end of problems with this in the past few months as I've been doing more drop-spindling, and have tried several different systems, none of which worked particularly well. A few days ago, the light bulb over my head lit up. Because they are light in weight, they tend to roll around if not somehow confined. Additionally, rolling around loosens up the outer end of the thread, so that even if they don't twist around each other, they often twist around themselves. Putting a rubber band around each one didn't work. Neither did running them under a stationary object. I needed something which would do two things: hold them in place separately, and allow for a smooth feed of the thread. Brainstorm! I stuffed each one into its own cone of weaving yarn, fed the working ends out through the top of the cone, and I was able to ply right down to the last few feet without a single problem. The process shall forevermore be known as the Cone of Fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment