Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Traditional Red


Day 292: Well, I am rapidly coming to the end of this weaving project. I'm already into the fifth of six towels, having woven two of its eight motifs yesterday. The day before, I completed four motifs, the limiting factor being how long my bum shoulders can hold out. That said, this is my favourite summer-and-winter draft. I love working on it, so now I am having to ration myself with respect to how much I do each day in order to spread it out while waiting for an order of heavier thread to arrive. I want to use a 3/2 cotton for the pattern floats in my next project (a coverlet). The traditional colours for summer-and-winter are blue or red on a white/cream/natural ground. That's not to say you can't use other colours. In fact, the first two of these towels are green. I tend to lean toward the cooler shades in my weaving, and although I do find this red very striking, it wouldn't be my first choice for my own kitchen. The upcoming coverlet, destined to be an entry in next year's Washington State Fair, will be blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment