Thursday, September 21, 2023

Acrobat Feeder


Day 343: My "Greybies" are back! The Canada Jays (Perisoreus canadensis) have returned from the uplands where they've summered on illicit handouts from Park visitors to enjoy a more healthful diet at my feeders. It takes them about ten minutes to empty the suet basket of the quarter-block portion I put out every morning, carrying off as much as they can hold to stash elsewhere for later consumption. I'll increase their ration as cold weather settles in. I believe this group is a family unit. Earlier this year, I had seen as many as five birds at once, and at this point, I have only observed three together. There could be more, taking turns. I have not yet been able to identify individuals by subtleties in their markings.

No comments:

Post a Comment