Thursday, September 7, 2023

Krokbragd On A Frame Loom


Day 329: There are several new and exciting things going on in my little fiberarts world currently, and you'll be hearing about more of them in days soon to come. We'll start with the frame loom, my September Morn present-to-self. It presents weaving in its most basic form: warp threads wrapped around pegs, the sheds controlled by a stick inserted between them. Many weavers got their start on one of these in grade school, weaving a simple over-and-under tabby. However, any warp threads can be picked up with the stick, so many other weaving structures are possible. I was sure krokbragd was one of them, and although I was right, it is somewhat tedious to do. That said, the problem of slack warp threads was eliminated completely, making the trade-off worthwhile, and I was able to weave a tabby border for neater selvedges. For small pieces like krokbragd placemats, this little loom is perfect, and it folds down flat to be quite portable. Like many a child before me, I sit on the floor when I'm weaving on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment