Saturday, September 9, 2023

Proud Heritage


Day 331: I'm proud of my Heritage...my Heritage raspberries, of course! This "everbearing" variety produces its heaviest crops if only allowed to fruit in autumn, so to that end, I cut them back to ground level after the vines have withered, forcing them to start over from scratch the following spring. They begin bearing in September and will continue up until the nights dip below freezing. My small patch (about 4' x 8') yields plenty-'nuff berries for a big batch of jelly and the occasional bowl of fresh fruit. I pop them in the freezer as they ripen, picking a few each day, dusting each layer with a little sugar. I'll make jam when cooler weather arrives, or if my pantry is already full, I'll simply eat them as snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment