Saturday, September 23, 2023

Scrubby At Sunset


Day 345: "We interrrupt our regularly scheduled programming to bring you..." Scrubby at sunset! It's time for fall migration, and after having my Canada Jays at the feeder for the last several days, it shouldn't have surprised me when Scrubby (Western Scrub-jay, Aphelocoma californica) showed up for a late supper. I don't often see them here, although over the last several years, they...or this one, by himself...have more consistently appeared for a day or two in summer. Scrubby is a large bird, this individual slightly bigger than any of my Steller's, and certainly larger than the Greys (Canadas). According to Sibley, Steller's is the largest of the three, but that does not hold in my observation. So now that the Greys and Scrubby have stopped by, one burning question remains: Where are those darn Cedar Waxwings? They're late again, and my mountain-ash trees are heavily weighted with fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment