Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Strange Fruits


Day 349: If you think back, you may recall that in late May, I was out in the garden with my little paintbrush, tickling pollen from one Akebia vine and transferring it to another. Here are the results of that horticultural exercise. If you've ever tried to eat an Akebia fruit, you might be wondering why I bother. Well, the primary reason would have to be the oft-cited "because I can." Secondary to that is the fact that I've trained my taste buds to enjoy the subtly sweet flavour of this nearly impossible-to-eat fruit. It took a few years of repeated exposure. The pulp holds quite close to those myriad black seeds, and the only way to get it off is to put a spoonful in your mouth, squish the mass with your tongue until the soft parts semi-liquify, and then remove the slippery seeds from your mouth before swallowing. You wouldn't want Akebia vines growing out of your ears now, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment