Friday, October 6, 2023

Forest Gold


Day 358: Like the old prospector said, "There's gold in them thar hills!" And there are more chanterelles in that basket than you might think. I know. I ate them all as one lunch fry-up, and was still too full at dinnertime to eat my regular meal. Admittedly, I had to hit three different spots to collect them all, but as is my usual wont, I left enough behind to seed future generations. Mushroomers are very protective when it comes to sharing locations where "forest gold" can be mined. I've lost too many sites when they were discovered by commercial pickers who harvest 'shrooms right down to pea-sized buttons. I probably should have divided this lot into a fry-up plus a bowl of soup, my usual limit for harvesting, but I didn't. I just sauteed them in butter with a little minced garlic, seasoned them with salt and pepper and pigged out.

No comments:

Post a Comment