Thursday, October 19, 2023

Well, That's Annoying!

Day 6: For as many years' weaving as I have under my belt, you might have thought I'd have woven a twill gamp at some point, but somehow I had just never managed to get around to it. I decided to remedy the situation, because a gamp is a handy thing to have around. It's rather like an index of patterns which can be accomplished with specific threadings and treadlings. In this case, I threaded for traditional bird's-eye, broken twill, rose path and regular twill. Those are the four columns. The twelve rows are a selection of the different possible treadlings from each of the four threadings. The result is 48 different patterns within the same piece of cloth (random examples on the right). By referencing the grid, I can select whichever combination catches my fancy, e.g., rose path #4 over broken twill, etc. Weavers often make plain-weave or twill gamps of colours for much the same reason: to see how they interact with each other where they combine. A pattern gamp like this is a little more complicated, though. However, as much as it pains me to admit it, I made a mistake in the last few throws of the second block up from the bottom. You can see it just below the blue horizontal stripe. I was probably tired when I did it, swapping 1/2, 1/4 for 1/4, 1/2, and did not catch the error until the finished piece was hanging on my wall. Thoroughly annoyed with myself, I've already started a second gamp on the same patterns, although in a different colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment