Saturday, October 28, 2023

Working Up The Chain


Day 15: Yesterday was spent working my way up the chain, i.e., winding warp onto one of my rigid-heddle looms for a rather challenging project. I should explain that I live in a small house. While I have sometimes had several looms and a quilting frame set up in the living room (the Loom Room being almost fully occupied by the floor loom and storage cupboards), having multiple "portable" projects in my living space makes me feel a bit too squeezed. For that reason, I tend to cycle through the various types of weaving, albeit not in order, going from one band loom to another, to inkle to rigid-heddle to backstrap and so on. I just finished a band on my Leksand loom, so I decided she needed a rest. A particular pattern has been nagging me to try it, and since my floor loom is full of overshot and my table loom is full of false damask, the only feasible solution was to pull out the larger of my rigid-heddle looms (I'll be explaining the project in greater depth in an upcoming post). Just suffice to say that I measured warp from peg to beam ten feet away while navigating around a quilting frame, two warping boards, one band loom, a frame loom and a spinning wheel, plus various baskets of fiber and tools without tripping even once. Tippy, familiar with his mama's antics, prudently stayed in the chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment