Monday, October 23, 2023

Xylaria Hypoxylon, Carbon Antlers


Day 10: Right in my own back yard! None of my field guides mentioned the fact that Xylaria hypoxylon is a bioluminescent fungus. I only encountered the information by accident while searching the internet for other data on the species. Although the sky had begun to lighten, I thought it might still be possible to observe the phenomenon since they were growing on a rotting hawthorn stump in a dark corner of the yard. I ran out, grabbed a small stick en route to use as a probe, and tapped the tips of the horns gently. I was not disappointed. Tiny pinpoints of blue light appeared where I had disturbed them, fading after a few seconds. I will be repeating the experiment in full darkness, for sure! I have only observed bioluminescence once before, during a kayaking trip on Puget Sound, and that given off by algae was green as opposed to the blue of this fungus. Xylaria hypoxylon is known commonly as Carbon Antlers or Candlesnuff Fungus, and occurs only on rotting wood. What a thrill!

No comments:

Post a Comment