Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Yucca Curls


Day 18: There's a point where I draw the line insofar as fiberarts are concerned, but I have to admit I'd be tempted to try retting, pounding and twisting yucca fiber into cordage if I didn't know it would be pretty hard on my hands. I hadn't really thought about it until I was out in the yard a few minutes ago and noticed these curls at the edges of my yucca's leaves. I mean, it's like they're offering themselves to me in a way, saying, "Look! New fiber source! You know you want to try it!" Do I? My plant is still quite small. I probably wouldn't get enough fiber to make a thimble-sized basket without stripping it entirely of leaves. Let's put this idea on hold, shall we? In the meantime, I'm going to read up on the traditional methods, the easiest methods, the best methods and all the pitfalls associated with processing yucca into something usable.

No comments:

Post a Comment