Thursday, November 30, 2023

World's Best Cat Toy


Day 48: Are you looking for the perfect gift for your feline friend? My resident expert assures me that there is no better toy than a Pink Spring! It bounces, it rolls, it behaves unpredictably, and it can provide hours of fun (or at least until Mama wears out of tossing it). And yes, it must be pink. The green ones, blue ones and yellow ones from the same package aren't nearly as interesting.

Such has been the story with several of my companions over the years, and I'm sure that with cats at least, that the preference for pink has something to do with their vision. On the other hand, my Cockatoo had pink feathers in his crest and around his beak, and birds' colour vision is much better than our own. I could understand "like attracts like" as it related to his preference, although it meant that he had a pink blanket and pink toys despite my aversion to the colour. Science tells us that cats can see blue and yellow wavelengths, but not red. Why, then, does Tippy prefer pink, as Skunk did as well? Given a pile of toys in the kitty toy box, the pink ones were those my cats would select for play. In any event, I still have trouble finding the pink springs when he swats them around the room. At least they don't break easily when I step on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment