Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Significant Snowfall


Day 89: Compared with what they have received on the east coast, this barely seems worth a mention. However, it is a significant snowfall for here, especially since it all came down between 9 PM yesterday and 5 AM today. It took my power with it despite our electric company's heroid efforts to cut back branches. I had just gotten out of bed and was down on the floor playing the morning head-butting game with Tippy when the lights began flickering. They browned out several times and then failed completely. In my house, everything is dependent on electricity. Without it, I have no heat, no water (I'm on a well). I hadn't even brushed my teeth, although that doesn't fully excuse the foul exhalations issuing from my mouth. "At least let me get my first cup of coffee, dammit!" Expecting this, I had made extra, so I heated up a cup on my camp stove, and also warmed Tippy's breakfast. Then we settled in under a blanket to read by candlelight for the next two hours. Our little PUD is astonishingly swift at restoring power, and it's seldom out for longer than that. There's more snow to come, and it will be mixed with rain, making laden branches even more likely to break and fall on power lines, but for now I'm warm and washed, the birdies are fed, and I can just sit here and enjoy the winter wonderland outside my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment