Wednesday, February 7, 2024

The Cribbage Jig


Day 117: Sometimes, I'm absolutely brilliant. Max still requires several things before he's fully operational. Certainly, I needed to order canvas for an apron for the warp roller and suitable cord for his tie-up, but while I'm waiting for those to arrive, I decided to tie more string heddles because there were only 100 on each shaft. You really need a jig of some sort to tie heddles uniformly, and I was running through all sorts of options for building one, but I didn't want to have to break out the bolt cutters to bite the heads off nails. Then it hit me: I had a fully adjustable jig in my closet...a cribbage board! I took one of the existing heddles, staked it out between pegs to set the proper distance for the length and placement of the eye, and I was in business. I tied 25 last night as a test and mounted them on one of Max's shafts. Perfecto! It's working so well that I may eventually replace all of the old heddles as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment