Thursday, March 7, 2024

Finished Placemats

Day 146: Quite a few people have asked me what I do with all the bands I weave. Admittedly, I have dozens of them rolled up and tucked away, but here is one way I put them to use. I wove the placemats as an afterthought when I had wound more warp than I needed for the primary project, but to me, they looked unfinished. I decided to weave a band in matching colours to apply as a border around the edges. I turned the raw ends to lie beneath the band, stitched down the outer edges, then mitred the corners and stitched along the inner margin of the band. I'm not a fan of machine sewing (although I like to sew by hand), so it took me a while to get around to applying the edgings. I like they way they turned out enough that I might make more with the same variegated weft. I accidentally doubled the length of the band when I put it on the loom, so I have enough left over to make another pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment