Sunday, March 10, 2024

Playing Warp Chicken


Day 149: Sooner or later, anyone who weaves a lot is going to find themselves engaged in a game of warp chicken. I think I came closer this time than ever before, and all because I was determined to squeeze five towels out of a warp I'd measured for four. Having never woven on Max before, I wasn't sure how much loom waste to allow. I knew it would be less than on my old loom for purely mechanical reasons, and Max turned out to be very efficient in that regard. The knots behind the heddles prevented me from advancing the warp another step of the large gear, and on the front, I barely had room to pass a shuttle through the shed, certainly not enough to weave the small sample I usually include in my files. But better a whole towel than a swatch! And as of a few minutes ago, I was almost finished winding on a new warp. At the very least, I will be able to get the heddles and reed threaded today, although I may not have time before bed to start his next piece (well, maybe a few throws).

No comments:

Post a Comment