Monday, April 15, 2024

Orange Peel


Day 185: The names of traditional overshot patterns can be as bewildering as the common names of plants sometimes. For example, this one is called "Orange Peel." I see nothing in it reminiscent of orange peels or even the flowers of an orange tree, but there you have it. Having just finished up the April Weave-Along, I decided I wanted to do some more overshot. It and summer-and-winter weave are my two favourite structures. I found a draft I liked, but realized that the tie-up was different from how I have Max set up, so rather than crawling around under the loom, I redesigned it to suit with weaving software. As I started threading the loom, I said, "Hang on a mo'...I based this on half a motif rather than a full one!" so it was back to the drawing board. I printed out the second one, discovered that I had the tabby threads backwards. Because I'm using the free version of the software, that meant I had to redraw the whole thing again. The third printout had some other problem, as did the fourth, but I did not catch one glaring error I'd left in both of them until I started weaving this sample. I'd omitted the points of the ovals! Sixth time around, I got it right. Now I'm just waiting for the new cone of black to arrive so I can start weaving the real piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment