Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Ruminating On Germinating


Day 200: Spring usually finds me digging out the seed-starting trays in mid-March, ready to plant those "8-10 weeks before last frost" species, but this year, I had decided to grow flowers for drying again, and both packets suggested planting dates merely a month in advance of when I planned to set them out. I was surprised when three or four days later, all the Strawflowers had sprouted. As soon as their first true leaves have formed, I'll be pinching out all but one or two in each cell. Soon, I'll be moving the tray outside when morning temps allow, bringing it back in at night until at least mid-May. Then I'll leave the seedlings out for a few nights to harden off before planting them in the garden where they'll be joined by the Chinese Lanterns which have yet to germinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment