Saturday, August 24, 2024

First Figs


Day 316: Another horticultural success! I probably should have given them a few more days on the tree to reach peak sweetness, but I've had my mouth set for figs for weeks as I have watched these mature into plump fruit. There are still three or four more to come, but one of them doesn't look like it's swelling, and then there are two which came on later that I know won't fully develop before first frost. Nevertheless, I now have high hopes for future figginess from this tree since it seems to have reached the tipping point between "ornamental" and "bearing." My next project is to coax the Medlar tree into producing enough fruit for jelly. It's coming along nicely, and I doubt it will take as long as the fig to give me a crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment