Wednesday, August 14, 2024

It's Cat Stitch!


Day 306: When my sister-of-the-heart Patty sent me a photo of the new crochet stitch she'd just discovered, I knew I had to have the pattern. It's called "cat stitch," for reasons which should be obvious if you look at it...dozens of cats, row upon row. It may well have another name and in fact, it's based in a simple shell stitch with conjoined double-crochets forming the legs over two previous rows. I also learned a new technique here which I'm surprised I'd never seen before: using "stacked singles" at the start of each row to make a faux double-crochet rather than chaining two on the turn. It makes for a much neater edge. This piece is just a sample using yarn from my stash (Caron "Simply Soft" with a 3.5mm hook). I'm going to run out of the rust after only a few repeats, so a purchase of cat-hued yarns may be in order. Old dogs may not be able to learn new tricks, but old cat ladies can.

No comments:

Post a Comment