Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Woolly Mullein, Verbascum Thapsus


Day 333: I tend to think of Mullein (Woolly, Common or Great all being synonyms for Verbascum thapsus) as a plant of the southwest Washington prairies where it is commonly seen along roadsides. I also tend to think of it as being my height or taller, so when I spotted this foot-tall, compact specimen adjacent to the Bud Blancher Trail in Eatonville, I had reason to look more closely. Yeah, it was a Mullein. Seriously, not much else resembles Mullein, so I really didn't doubt my identification, but it was in an odd spot and it was certainly runty compared to its relatives down in Flatland. Although I have never made tea from the leaves or flowers, Mullein is a time-honoured medicinal for ailments of the respiratory tract. Nevertheless, it should be used with caution since it can affect the kidneys. Seeds should never be used. Of more pertinent interest to weavers and spinners, the flowers can be used to produce yellow, brown or green dyes, depending on which mordanting agent is used. Now that's something I might just have to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment