Thursday, October 17, 2024

One Step Closer To Real Internet

Day 4: As of yesterday, I moved one step closer to being lifted from "third-world country" status and toward having access to true internet. Friends are always surprised when I tell them that my top speed with Century(blankety-blank)Link is supposed to be 768 kbps...yes, that's a K...but I seldom approach half that. It takes five or ten minutes every morning just to connect via CenturyLink's crap service, and then I have to deal with slow page loads. The new service will be through our electric company, although the work won't be completed until some time in the coming year. Yesterday, they tunnelled beneath the road and installed a vault for the optical cable they'll be running later. It was fascinating to watch the digger operation. The machine shoots a jet of water into the soil, and then sucks it up, rocks and all. I presume it works its way around big ones, but I did see one melon-sized one brought out and laid aside. The crew will be back today to finish up this phase of the operation here, moving on to do the same thing up and down the line. Even if it costs more, I am looking forwward to the day when I can tell CenturyLink to take a flying...um..."leap through" a rolling donut as I join the real world on line.

No comments:

Post a Comment