Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Going Batts


For my next spinning project, I'm going batts, which is to say I'm blending a colourful merino/bamboo blend with some natural brown Blue-Faced Leicester. This is a major project, since I have 24 ounces of BFL and 8 of the blend, so I may not do it all in one go. It's nice to be able to shift off to something else for a skein or two when you're working on a bulk amount. I've calculated the proportions for each fiber: 57 grams of BLF and 19 of the blend per skein, and have put the first batch through the drum carder three times to distribute the colour evenly throughout the BFL. Each batt is roughly an ounce and a half. Two batts will go into each skein, and will be spun fine enough to be Navajo-plied (a three-ply yarn).

No comments:

Post a Comment