365Caws is now in its 16th year of publication. If I am unable to post daily, I hope readers who love the natural world and fiberarts will seize those days to read the older material. Remember that this has been my journey as well, so you may find errors in my identifications of plants. I have tried to correct them as I discover them. Likewise, I have refined fiberarts techniques and have adjusted recipes, so search by tags to find the most current information. And thank you for following me!
Tuesday, August 11, 2026
Yelm Weeds
I don't get out a lot these days, mainly because of gas prices, but when I do, I try to pack as much into my "out" time as possible. In this case, I had business in Yelm yesterday, so threw my bicycle in the car with the intention of riding the extension of the Yelm Prairie Line Trail and picking up a few geocaches on the way. It was a lovely morning for it: cool at last, even a little sprinkly for a second or two at a time, and the ride didn't take as long as I'd expected (yes, I found all the caches I'd put on my list). With time still left to kill, I decided to go for a walk in a little "pocket park" which has occasionally yielded up some interesting botanical finds. I hadn't walked fifty feet before I spotted these two plants. The leaves of the top one suggested "geranium" to me (wrong!), so I took photos of it, figuring it to be a weed. Likewise, the pink one was undoubtedly a weed as well, but it was new to me, so pictures were in order. When I got home, I put both in my photo files captioned "Identify" and then went to work with the field guides. As it turned out, the "geranium" was a Malva (mallow): Malva neglecta, aka Dwarf Mallow. The pink one was a little more difficult to narrow down to Erodium cicutarium, Common Stork's-bill or Red-stem Filaree. I should have known. Many years ago, I identified it as such in a different location. I added the photos to the Burke Herbarium's image collection, bringing my total photos to 246 covering 138 different taxa. Turned out to be a pretty good day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment