365Caws is now in its 16th year of publication. If I am unable to post daily, I hope readers who love the natural world and fiberarts will seize those days to read the older material. Remember that this has been my journey as well, so you may find errors in my identifications of plants. I have tried to correct them as I discover them. Likewise, I have refined fiberarts techniques and have adjusted recipes, so search by tags to find the most current information. And thank you for following me!
Saturday, September 19, 2026
Dewey
The best guess so far is that this charming caterpillar is Spilosoma virginica (Virginian Tiger Moth), and I figured we wouldn't get more than a "best guess" based on a photograph which fails to show any specific field characteristics. The moth is fairly common in the Pacific Northwest. He was minding his own business, so I minded mine, running through my daily tai chi "silk reeling" exercise on Big Bridge. With those guard hairs, I certainly wasn't going to interfere with him. That said, I had already found a better name for him than his dry scientific moniker. I mean, isn't it obvious to you that he should be called Dewey?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment