Sunday, June 9, 2024

Sack o' Strips


Day 240: I'm weaving rag rugs again after finally getting over two dozen t-shirts washed and cut into one-inch strips. I wanted to do them all so that I would have the broadest selection of colours to draw from, and I realized I was going to have to find a better way of randomizing them than jumbling them all up together on the floor and then stuffing them into a 5-gallon bucket. I hit upon the idea of tossing them into the dryer, and it worked beautifully except for the fact that they're rather tangled up on themselves. That said, I always stretch each strip before I weave it. Pulling them free from the snake's-nest accomplishes that part of the job quite well. Each rug takes about a pound and a quarter when the strips are cut this size. I haven't weighed the bag, but I've already got one completed rug on the roller, and I've barely made a dent in the supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment